Friday, February 3, 2012

Pineapple Drink - For the frugalist of frugals.

So I've decided to extricate the phalanges (as my father-in-law would say) and write something on my blog. Mostly because i have just made something that i totally want to brag about (but i can't cos it's a birthday present, and with my luck this would be the one night that she (the recipient) would decide to look at the world's most neglected blog and all element of suprise would be lost). So instead, I thought i'd tell you about a lovely beverage that i have been making, that seems to impress those who i serve it to (although it really isn't all that flash, but the kids love it).
I think I'm using too many brackets... I'll stop now.

Anyway, my Mum gave me this scrappy looking, but rather ace book a while back...


It's full of really great recipes that are relatively simple. One of which was how to make a pineapple drink, from all the bits of the pineapple that you would usually throw out. How wonderfully frugal.

So here it is...
All you need is:
  • The skin and core only of 1 large pineapple
  • 8 cups of water
  • 1/4 cup of lemon juice
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • and a big pot
Step 1. Put the skin and core of the pineapple in the pot with the 8 cups of water and simmer for 2 hours.
Step 2. Strain the liquid into another saucepan. Add juice and sugar. Boil 5 mins, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
Step 3. Cover and cool. Once cool, add ice and enjoy. If you're feeling a little bit fancy you can add a few mint leaves and strawberries to posh it up.

Easy Peeasy.

I would have put a few pics of my lovely jug of Pineapple Fruit drink, but honestly, we have already almost finished it and a photo of a quarter full jug is a little underwhelming. So instead, I will leave you with this beautiful vintage picture of some wintery looking birds posted by the Graphics Fairy, who's blog is beautiful and generous and well worth a look.



So hooroo. xo.

Who knows when i'll see you again (maybe i'll be back to brag about my creation).

No comments: